The journey to the "wild side" of Vancouver Island offers matchless views as you wind through majestic forests and snow-capped mountains on Highway 4. From the "junction" (where the highway splits) it is 8 kilometres to Ucluelet or 36 kilometres to Tofino. Pacific Rim National Park lies between the two villages. Estimated times depending on road conditions (click here for current conditions). Distances are short, but the road through mountains should be enjoyed slowly.
Driving times to Ucluelet. Add 30 minutes for Tofino
- Vancouver (5 hours from ferry terminal)
- Victoria (4.5 to 5 hours)
- Nanaimo (2.5 to 3 hours)
- Port Alberni (1.5 hours)
- Comox (3 hours)
- Seattle (8 hours)
FERRY Service to Vancouver Island:
FLIGHTS via Pacific Coastal Airlines and KD Airlines.
to Tofino-Ucluelet Long Beach Airport (YAZ)
- To/from Vancouver (1 hour)
- To/from Victoria (45 minutes)
- Float plane service to Nanaimo, Bamfield & Victoria
BUDGET RENT A CAR (Long Beach Airport):www.bcbudget.com
BUS Service (via Tofino Bus)
- To/from Vancouver (7.5 hours)
- To/from Victoria (6.5 hours)
- To/from Nanaimo (3.5 hours)
Traveling north from Victoria or Duke Point ferry:
- Follow highway 1 north to the welcome to Nanaimo sign. Do not exit for downtown Nanaimo
- Take Highway 19 overpass North towards Qualicum Beach
- Take Exit 60 onto Highway 4 (Pacific Rim Highway) to Port Alberni. You will pass Cathedral Grove on this scenic mountain road
- Go straight through Port Alberni, turning right at the T-junction to Tofino/Ucluelet
- The highway follows Sproat Lake and Kennedy River through snow capped mountains. Allow 1 ½ hours between Port Alberni and the T-Junction by the Pacific Rim Visitors Centre.
- Turn right to Tofino (30 minutes) or left to Ucluelet (10 minutes).
From Departure Bay ferry:
- Follow traffic up the hill to the North Island Highway. Turn right through Nanaimo, to Highway 19. Then follow above directions.
From Comox airport:
- Turn right at Knight Road, and right again at onto Military Row. At the next stop sign turn left on Ryan Road.
- Follow signs to Nanaimo over the 17th street bridge
- Turn left onto Cliff Avenue and follow signs for highway 19 southbound to Nanaimo (29th St. connector).
- Take the highway 4 exit for Port Alberni/Pacific Rim National Park
From VANCOUVER AIRPORT:
- Traveling from YVR to Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal: Hop on the Canada Line Sky train at the airport - purchase a ticket for a 2-zone fare from the vending machine before you board - credit card/change should be $9
- Get off at Vancouver City Centre Station
- Head out to W Georgia Street & go across the road heading east. Walk past "The Bay" store and catch the bus "257 Horseshoe Bay Express" at Seymour St. It will drop you off right at the ferry terminal. (You can also catch the #250 but it's slower).
- You can purchase Tofino Bus tickets online or reserve at 1.866.986.3466 to Ucluelet or Tofino
- Check Tofino Bus schedule for the ferry you should catch for direct connections
Traveling from VICTORIA AIRPORT:
- Transfers from Victoria Airport to the Victoria Bus Depot are offered by AKAL Airport Shuttle Bus (1-877-386-2525). From there Tofino Bus offers service.
T R A V E L --S E R V I C E S
BUDGET CAR/TRUCK RENTALS:YAZ Tofino-Ucluelet Airport 250.725.2060
Located at the YAZ airport terminal at Long Beach, open 7 days a week. Free customer pick-up in Ucluelet and Tofino. www.bcbudget.com
PACIFIC RIM NAVIGATORS: 250-725-8393
Private vehicle services in Tofino and Ucluelet with connections to any location on Vancouver Island and to the Lower Mainland. Check website for reservations: http://www.pacificrimnavigators.com/
TOFINO BUS and Bike rentals: 564 Campbell St.Toll Free 1-866-986-3466
Vancouver • Victoria • Port Hardy daily express motorcoach. Service to Port Alberni and Nanaimo. • Local Beach Bus reserve at 725-287, your transportation between Tofino, Ucluelet and all beaches/trails in between. Check website for current schedules and reservations: www.tofinobus.com
TOFINO TAXI and LIMO SERVICE Call: 250-725-3333
Serving both Tofino and Ucluelet. 24 hour reliable service. Airport limo service and Vancouver Island destinations.
B.C. TOURIST INFORMATION CENTRES:
Tofino Information Centre: Box 249, 1426 Pacific Rim Highway, Tofino, BC V0R 2Z0 Canada
Pacific Rim Visitor's Centre: 250-726-4600 at the Tofino-Ucluelet junction.
Whether you come here for the whales, the rainforests or just the peace and quiet, the west coast is easy to visit but very hard to forget.
Coastal weather patterns can change very rapidly on the Wild West Coast, usually to dramatic effect.